On Wednesday, May 24, the Board of County Commissioners announced the appointments of nine members and three alternates to the Charter Board. The Charter Board is tasked with drafting a charter for Charles County to change the present form of government from code home rule to charter government. The Board’s appointed members are:
- Cheryl Botts (District 1)
- Sarah Hammett (District 1)
- Marjorie Chiles (District 2)
- Mary Stokely (District 2)
- Ramonda Davis (District 3)
- Christopher Harrington (District 3)
- Eileen Lynch-Britt (District 4)
- Gregory Waring (District 4)
- Dottery Butler-Washington (At-Large member)
- William Smith (alternate member)
- Michael White (alternate member)
- James Crawford (alternate member)
The Charter Board will meet at least monthly beginning June 1, 2023, and the draft charter will be presented to the County Commissioners by June 1, 2024. The proposed charter will define the duties, powers, rules, procedures, and structure of local county government and the rights of its citizens. The proposed charter is being planned on a timeline that would place it on the ballot for approval by Charles County voters during the 2024 regular election. If a majority of the votes cast are in favor of its adoption, the form of government for Charles County will change from code home rule to charter on the date specified in the charter.
Commissioners also approved:
- A budget transfer request of $62,000 to pay for the renewal of Zencity, an online community engagement platform that will be used to share essential project information, conduct surveys, and gather resident input on community priorities.
- A budget transfer request of $418,500 to pay for increased electricity costs for water and sewer operations.
- Support for the use of up to $60,000 in contingency funds to administer the Healthy Families Southern Maryland program due to a potential gap in grant-funded services. This service gap may occur because of a change in the way that the state grant is being administered this year.
- A memorandum of understanding between Charles County Commissioners, the Charles County Sheriff, and the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 24.
- The proposed amendment to the Commissioner Rules and Procedures.
Board and Commission Appointments:
- Commissioner Collins and Commissioner Stewart to the Task Force to Study School Bus Operator contracts and Wages.
- Reappoint Claude Humbert to the Board of Appeals.
- Reappoint Benjamin Watkins to the Board of Appeals.
Commissioners issued the following proclamations:
- National Public Works Week – May 21- 27, 2023
- Pride Month and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Month – June 2023
- Women’s Veterans Day – June 12, 2023
- Juneteenth Day – June 19, 2023
Viewing option of the meeting and the Commissioner Listening Session: Click Here
Next Commissioners Session: June 13, 2023
Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.